HTML is the standard markup language for creating Web pages.
- HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language
- HTML describes the structure of Web pages using markup
- HTML elements are the building blocks of HTML pages
- HTML elements are represented by tags
- HTML tags label pieces of content such as “heading”, “paragraph”, “table”, and so on
- Browsers do not display the HTML tags, but use them to render the content of the page
An HTML element is defined by a starting tag. If the element contains other content, it ends with a closing tag, where the element name is preceded by a forward slash as shown below with few tags −
|Start tag||content type||End tag|
|<p>||I am a Paragraph!||</p>|
|<h1>||I am a big heading!||</h1>|
|<div>||I am a divider!||</div>|
My First Webpage
Write the following code in your notepad. (I am assuming you have a computer, if not then just download any html editor on your device)
I am learning something new!
Save the HTML Page
Save the file on your computer. Select File > Save as in the Notepad menu.
Name the file “index.htm” (you can name the file anything as long as it ends with .html/htm) and set the encoding to UTF-8(which is the preferred encoding for HTML files).
click on the document created to run.